Saturday, July 25, 2015

Hiatus

Fern and Sprout drink milk with meals, otherwise, we are a water-only household.  The main exception is when the kids get the flu and we give them Gatorade.  The kids love Gatorade.

When Sprout was about four and a half, he was trying to convince me to give him some. 


"Poppa, can I have Gatorade?"

"Are you sick?"

"No..."

"Then why should I give you any?"

"Because...I think I don't have any electric lights in me."



"Oh, hi Mr. Deadwood.  How are you?"

"Hi, Holly.  Great.  How are you doing?"

"Oh, fine.  But um...everything okay?"

"Sure.  Why?"

"Well, I noticed you haven't posted anything in awhile.  You usually post Monday mornings at 1:00 AM every other week.  What's going on?"

"Well, I am really busy."

"So, you're wrapping up your blog?"

"More like, keeping it on hiatus indefinitely."

"Why not just end it and give us all a break?"

"Well, I still have a couple ideas I want to get out there.  So I thought I'd keep my options open."

"That's kind of bothersome for me.  As you know, my chapter requires me to keep an eye on your blog.  I don't want to keep checking back if you aren't going to post anything."

"Well, then sign up for notifications.  Whenever I post something new, an email will be sent to you to let you know.  And despite what the notification center says when you sign up, you will only receive an email whenever I post, not every day.  That will save you time."

"That's a great idea, Mr. Deadwood!  The less time I spend looking at your blog, the better.  Thanks!"




3 comments:

  1. Well, as sorry as I am that you will be stepping back from your bi-weekly publishing schedule, I nonetheless look forward to whatever words of wisdom you can offer in the future. I can tell you, I have spent this past week in a daze, as I was unable to get my fix of Deadwoodisms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are soon approaching the five year anniversary of Deadwood's hiatus. I have to tell you, the beard that I grew in a symbolic gesture of support as I waited for new Deadwoodisms is starting to prove an inconvenience; I often trip over it as I walk down the street. So help a brother out and let us know out in cyberspace your thoughts on what is going on in the world so that I can shave off the beard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow. Five years? Geez. I'm glad to hear from you!

      So, I actually have been thinking about starting up again. I'm pretty much done talking about retirement, and getting ready to move onto lessons and perspectives for my kids, but I just haven't overcome the inertia yet. First, I've been really busy enjoying retirement. Second, blogging is a ton of work. And finally, while I can, with some legitimacy, claim to be knowledgeable about early retirement, I am not really all that bright, wise or deep a thinker. So, trying to teach life lessons or share perspectives is a little risky. Who wants to embarrass themselves? In the meantime, I'll post a column that has sat in draft mode for five years. I guess I just forgot about it. Enjoy!

      Delete