Friday, September 26, 2014

Broader and Deeper. Maybe.

 
"Mr. Deadwood, I have a question."

"Sure, Holly.  Shoot."

"I was wondering why you don't talk about anything in your blog other than early retirement."

"Uh, well, it's an early retirement blog."


"You're so funny, Mr. Deadwood.  But seriously, you could talk about other things.  I mean, early retirement just isn't relevant to me."
"Then...why are you reading my blog?"
"Believe me, I wouldn't if I didn't have to.  My fan club chapter needs me to make sure you're nice to Justin Bieber."

"How flattering.  Okay, well, what about my baseball post?  I ranted about baseball, remember?  That isn't about early retirement."

"Yeah, that's true, you do rant sometimes.  But that's just for fun and frankly, most of your jokes are pretty lame.  So I mean...I don't know.  Talk about something more serious or something."
"Let me get this straight.  A fifteen year old girl is asking a middle aged adult to get more serious?"
"We're not all about boy bands and fashion, you know.  Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein when she was 19...Anne Frank wrote her diary at age 13...Joan of Arc led the French Army when she was only 17..."
"Sorry, sorry, you're right.  Okay, then, what would you like me to talk about?"
"I don't know...maybe...say that one day, after you're dead even, your sons are reading your blog because they want to better understand you and the way you think.  What would you want them to read?"

"Wow, that's really intriguing, Holly.  I'll have to think about that one.  It could be risky, though..."

"Risky?  Mr. Deadwood, it's not like anyone reads your blog."

"True dat."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment